Monday, November 5, 2007

Hello from Kuwait

Stepping off my British Airways flight into Kuwait yesterday morning, I must admit I was a little intimidated. Even though Kuwait is more moderate then Saudi Arabia or Iran, it still doesn't allow any alcohol into the country, and most women were wearing at a minimum a head scarf. After I got my visa and collected my bags, I went outside to wait for my driver. Looking around, I saw men dressed in the traditional long white robe and head covering drinking Starbucks. My driver showed up with a Dodge Charger, and while we sped off into Kuwait city, I was serenaded with Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera. I could hardly believe I was in Kuwait, until I heard the radio sensor Christina Aguilera song candy man (they removed "he makes my cherry pop") geeze, its only candy!

I stayed at the hotel Le Meridien, and from my balcony I could see a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, and just down the road was an Apple Bees. If it wasn't written in Arabic, I would have sworn I was still the US. Its funny that the US keeps trying to export Democracy, yet the only thing we are really successful at exporting is junk food and giant SUV's.

No comments: