Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sleepless in Greece; Why Jet lags a drag

Here I am writing at Midnight in Greece, when I should be sleeping. Tomorrow morning I will be getting up early for work. Chances are I will be tossing and turning for most of the night. This horrible phenomenon called Jet Lag used to never really affect me. But now I think my body is rebelling, its saying who cares about seeing new countries sleep is much more satisfying.

Two years ago when I first started traveling, I could easily adjust by walking around the city during the day and then go to bed early the first night. Yesterday, after a ten hour flight and four hours of sleep I was literally a Zombie when I got off the plane. I wanted to fall asleep right away at 4pm in the afternoon. But I forced myself to walk around the city, have something to eat and adjust to the time a bit. By 9:30pm I had stayed up as long as I could, armed with a set of ear plugs and an eye mask I went to sleep. I woke up a few brief times during the night, but I was shocked when I woke up at 10:00am the next morning.

It seems as though I have gotten too much sleep yesterday, so now I am paying the price tonight. The worst apart about Jet Lag is that by the time you get over it, it's time to go back home again. I guess the good thing about Jet Lag (if there is a good thing) is that you aren't that hungry for the first few days. Your body is like you don't want lunch, its only 5am, you want sleep.

Right now, I am very envious of the agoraphobics of America. It's very tempting to just give up on international travel. Who needs Jet lag, the ridiculously long lines at security/passport control and that damn strong Euro that puts the dollar to shame? But I am not ready just yet to pack in my passport and buy myself a kick ass camper van. Although, if I did have a camper van, I would probably be asleep right now.

No comments: